HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Bill Green <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 5 Mar 2013 09:12:07 -0600
<snipped the orig. messages because I subscribe to the Digest>

Objects for dig simulations can come from museum education collections or
unprovenienced material in labs but should be left there for the next round
of programs. The "take-homes" should not include artifacts, but kids can
still go home with tangible mementos of their experience. In addition to
the options noted by other posters, paper-layer simulations as my colleague
Paul Thistle promotes would be worth considering. See a 5-minute video at
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OtsX1AULYVA and his project website at
https://sites.google.com/site/archexcavsim/ and an abstract of his article
on the subject at http://lcoastpress.metapress.com/content/f600m4586088328j/.
Note the equivalent treatment of modern, historic, and prehistoric
material.

Bill

--
William Green, Ph.D., RPA
James E. Lockwood Jr. Director, Logan Museum of Anthropology