HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

Date:
Fri, 22 Jun 2012 20:41:13 -0400
I have not yet encountered any definite Spanish privies in my work in
Hispanic California, though there are plenty from Anglo and Asian-American ones
in later phases of occupation at the Presidio of Santa Barbara. We did find a
well of still yet undetermined date at the same site.   I suspect that the
privies are more likely in military sites which are early and in the
Southeast, at a point less remote from the center of civilization, such as St.
Augustine or other sites in Florida.

The major question for me is what did the Spanish do about waste disposal
at mission sites such as San Antonio de Padua where there were up to 1300
Indians.   Chamber pots worked well for the 2 padres, five soldiers, and
possible one or two others of European or mestizo origins, but were impractical
for the large numbers of neophytes.   With the health ramifications of this
issue, I cannot believe that this was just left to informal chance.   In the
1790s, the Spanish were learning much more about the nature of disease and
the role of public health.   However, so far we have found no traces of trench
latrines anywhere.   I believe chemical analysis of the soil is the best
bet for revealing this, as it leaves little visible trace behind.

Bob Hoover