HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

Date:
Sat, 5 May 2012 09:14:51 -0400
Bob-

I recognize the importance of communication between professionals.

I do not see the point of expenditure of such significant funds to do so
when budgets are tight and Archeologists have to rely upon
ordinary people to do volunteer work to get jobs done. It sends a disturbing
message.

I think part of the problem is the demand for up scale conference settings
to do it in "style"  The conference industry will take all the money
you want to throw at it and I think we should throw them nothing.

In Maryland I remember experiencing wonderful conferences in Delaware on the
shore in the least expensive hotel in the area in the winter
off season. In Alabama I recall excellent meetings at very small places.

Conferences should not be regarded as vacations or rewards - they should be
for work.

The internet exists- one can put pdf presentations on line and talk over
internet telephones, video presentations can be placed on servers- this
should be the future of a profession
which is short of funding.

If conference costs for professionals with expense accounts for some strange
reason have to be so high I would propose the development of state programs
partnering with local Societies
to make it possible for volunteers who have assisted professionals with
their work to attend at a cut rate admission ($20 or less per day) if they
can demonstrate that they have put in
the volunteer time. These people need the information as much as
professionals.

And don’t tell me about volunteering to help at conferences- I did that in
Tennessee and could hardly get to a presentation. And I hear volunteers
still had to pay parking in Baltimore.

High conference costs are not just in archeology they are everywhere. We
need to make a less exclusive bigger tent and not a more high priced
conference center.

Is the SHA doing anything to develop internet conferencing?

Conrad Bladey
Professional Archeologist and Peasant