HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Andy Higgs <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Andy Higgs <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 2 Jan 2012 09:58:07 -0900
Susan,
I checked the USPTO trademark electronic search system (TESS) and they show that A.S. Boyle Co. of New Jersey filed for the ANTROL trademark name in 1940. The form also claims that the company first used the trademark in 1922, so 1922 might be a reasonable beginning date for the product. A second ANTROL trademark filing occurred in 1959 by the American Home Products Corporation DBA Boyle-Midway Corporation of New York, so I read that as A.S. Boyle Co. no longer existed by 1959 but had morphed into a larger company that was now under the perview of American Home Products. So I would go with a mid-1920s to late-1950s date range for the ANTROL product being distributed by "A.S. Boyle Co." You have to be a little cautious with the TESS information but it is a good place to start on 20th century materials. This might be a tighter date range than you can get from the OI bottle trademark.