HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Bill Green <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 15 Dec 2011 09:46:39 -0600
Colleagues:

I am looking for examples of Native-made pottery with embedded glass beads.
The Logan Museum has a mid-18th-century Arikara example from South Dakota.
It's a rim-handle sherd with two white glass beads on the exterior surface.
Also in the Plains, Ray Wood has reported sherds with beads from the
18th-century Biesterfeldt site in North Dakota. In the Northeast, some
Seneca clay pipes have beads for eyes. Other than these, I'm not aware of
any other occurrences of glass beads in pottery.

If any list members know of other examples, I'd greatly appreciate the
information. You may email directly or reply to the list. Thanks.

Bill Green
--
William Green, Ph.D., RPA
James E. Lockwood Jr. Director, Logan Museum of Anthropology