HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
paul courtney <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 13 Feb 2011 15:21:02 +0000
I haven't seen anything quite like it. It is clearly Gothic revival
including the lack of symmetry. I would guess the inspiration is from
medieval stair turrets (which have a viewing gallery on the final storey).
The sort of original model is ilustrated by the palace of Jacques de
Couer in Bourges (France) though is very elaborate as he was very rich
http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Bourges_cour_du_palais_jacques_c%C5%93ur-croped.jpg
Given the buildings overall simplicity I would think that the intention
was probably to give it a simple pointed roof. There would have been a
huge range of potential models in print at this date both genuine
medieval buildings and neo Gothic interpretations. But most trained
architects could have knocked this sort of simple facade design up from
memory having seen many similar buildings and perhaps been set to draw
medieval buildings as apprentices.
Agricultural and estate manual would have given some guidance on the
functional aspects of the building design but the facade was down to taste.

paul