HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
"Lockhart, Bill" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 11 Feb 2011 12:05:00 -0700
Hi Olive and All,

I appreciate your posting this information on HISTARCH, and I want to encourage others to let us know about your publications -- including reports.

Historical archaeology has a vast literature that is often only known to a few individuals who happen to be involved in a specific area (geographic or sub-discipline).  This is a great forum for passing on that type of information.

I will certainly get a copy of Olive's article via interlibrary loan!!

Thanks again,

Bill

>>> Olive Jones <[log in to unmask]> 2/11/2011 10:14 AM >>>
Hi to you all.  For those of you interested in English black glass bottles
I have just published an article in Journal of Glass Studies, vol. 52,
2010, pp. 91-156.

"English Black Glass Bottles, 1725-1850: Historical Terminology"

Abstract: "From about 1725-1850, the English black glass bottle industry
made bottles in various shapes and capacities in response  to increasing
demands from makers and vendors of wines, beers, medicines and chemicals,
commercial foods, snuff, and natural and artificial mineral waters.  To
manage the records of production, warehousing, shipping, and sales, bottle
manufacturers and merchants used a commonly understood vocabulary.  Based
on their records and on newspaper advertisements, this article presents a
glossary of terms used in the English black glass bottle industry.
Included in the glossary are discussions of shapes and possible contents.
In addition, with the use of bottles from archeological, private, and
museum collections, some bottle styles are matched with historical terms."

In the same issue of the Journal of Glass Studies  is another article of
interest to anyone finding opaque white glass on 18th century sites.
Florian Knothe "East Meets West: Cross-Cultural Influences in Glassmaking
in the 18th and 19th Centuries, pp. 201-216.

Olive Jones