HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Bob Skiles <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 25 Jan 2011 15:02:31 -0600
Smoke,

I don't know anything about guns, compared to you, but modern day hunters
apparently apply manufactured lead washers to their stock bolts to "balance"
their rifles, see:

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/default.aspx?productNumber=859739

I don't know how far back this practice may have existed, but nowadays there
are manufacturers who manufacture (or at least advertise) lead washers for
this specialized purpose. I would imagine, that in years past, if lead
washers were used for such purpose, they must have adapted the lead washers
that were manufactured/available (e.g., those used as gaskets under the nail
heads) for applying metal roofs (which, I am told, has been an ancient
practise <sp> in England, where many of the extant roofs of cathedrals and
churches remain as sheet lead applied centuries ago).

Perhaps the washers Mark inquires about were adaptations of lead washers
manufactured for a different purpose (like roofing) and adapted for use in
vising flints? It seems it would be a simple matter to to have folded the
manufactured roofing washers to adapt them as ideal flint grips/pads, the
hole adding to the adaptability of the washers rather than detracting.

Regards,
Bob Skiles