HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Chris Garst <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 25 Jan 2011 12:00:55 -0600
A colleague of mine wondered if springhouses from the Midwest might be
of interest?  He has listed them below:

In Bourbon Co., Kansas, site 14BO3498 has a springhouse (there are many
photos and a site plan map with the form).  There is one other Kansas
springhouse site that I thought I had reported but (much to my surprise)
it has not.  It is located perhaps a block NE of site 14BO434.  I will
try to get it reported one of these days when I can find some time.

In Missouri, I have reported three sites with springhouses.  They have
site numbers and are described in the gray literature (in two CRM
reports that can be obtained from MoDNR) as follows:

Feagins, Jim D.
   1998  Cultural Resource Survey of Two Proposed Borrow Areas West of
Belton, Cass County, Missouri--(Project #J4U1011) for Proposed Highway
150 Construction.  Cultural Resource Report No. 56.  St. Joseph Museum,
St. Joseph, Missouri.  Report on file with museum and at the Missouri
Dept. of Natural Resources, Jefferson City, Mo.

Feagins, Jim D.
   2002  A Cultural Resource Literature Search and Reconnaissance
Overview of the Jerry Smith Park, Kansas City, Jackson County,
Missouri.  Cultural Resource Report No. F102.  Report on file at the
Missouri Dept. of Natural Resources, Jefferson City, Mo.

--
Christine Garst
Archeology Lab