HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
"Davis, Daniel (KYTC)" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 27 Sep 2010 09:23:28 -0400
Looks like an approximation of the Brentford Horn-cap to me:
http://www.museumoflondon.org.uk/English/Collections/Prehistoric1700/Pre
historic.htm . The primary design is based on a triskele, or triskelion,
and while it may not be based on the Brentford Horn-cap, it does
resemble Iron Age Celtic design motifs. Not exactly certain when the
horn-cap was found, but it was in the collection of Thomas Layton, who
apparently began collecting in the early 1850s and died in 1911.

Daniel B. Davis
Archaeologist Coordinator
Kentucky Transportation Cabinet
Division of Environmental Analysis