HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Mark Branstner <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 21 Sep 2010 21:14:08 -0500
Jonathon,

Just off the top of my head, I think that you are going to have a
very, very difficult time with your intended project.

CCC camps, at least the Federal camps, were run as military
installations, and were subject to basic military operations, which
included extensive and intensive policing of the grounds, with
off-site trash disposal in dumps the most likely form of refuse
patterning.

I really have no idea why you would find any evidence for  "luxury"
or discretionary spending, unless it was in "secreted" deposits ...
You should also know that there was virtually no "extra" income
available to the CCC "boys" as large percentages of their incomes
were automatically sent home to parents, families, etc.  Other than
buying smokes, maybe a beer/liquor bottle,  or a pack of gum, I am
very curious as to what you are seeing on the ground that suggests
discretionary spending.

I would note that what you may be seeing is, as you noted, a very
early camp, where site policing was not yet fully in play.  You also
may be looking at one of the State or Private CCC camps ... perhaps
the discipline was more lax in those settings than what I encountered
on Federal camps in Michigan.

I'm guessing Smoke will chime in with any references on excavated CCC
camps ... My only work was pedestrian reconn, mapping, and minimal
shovel testing.  I don't have the report reference on this computer,
but I will forward it to you if you are interested.

Mark

--

Mark C. Branstner, RPA
Historic Archaeologist

Illinois State Archaeological Survey
Institute of Natural Resource Sustainability
209 Nuclear Physics Lab, MC-571
23 East Stadium Drive
Champaign, IL 61820

Phone: 217.244.0892
Fax: 217.244.7458
Cell: 517.927.4556

When you think of that perfect retort five minutes after the
conversation is over -  that's when you're:

  "... bursting with the belated eloquence of the inarticulate ..."

Edith Wharton in the "The Age of Innocence"