HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Rich Green <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 22 Jun 2010 11:20:15 -0400
Gaye,

Good point.  On many sites, particularly homestead or cabins with locally
concentrated materials, we too only flag detected metal artifacts and
perhaps take a representative sample uniformly across the site.  Generally,
we flag ferrous artifacts with an orange flag and non-ferrous with blue.
Photographing the distribution of colored flags from a number of points on
the site grid assists in determining the amount and type of metal artifacts
present without excavation.

Many of our projects have been larger area battlefield surveys in
agricultural fields; some of which are thousands of meters long. Many metal
artifacts that are unrelated to the battle including farm implements, tools,
scrap metal, beer cans and other modern refuse are typical.  In this case,
simply flagging the detected artifacts is less telling.

Metal detection with both a hand-held magnetometer and VLF metal detector is
also useful in advance of any non-invasive subsurface imaging such as GPR,
EMC or other types of electromagnetic data collection.  Large, near surface
buried metal items or dense concentrations of metal refuse can be
problematic for instance when interpreting unmarked graves in 19th century
cemeteries.  Generally, it is a good idea to locate, identify and in some
instances remove these impedances to data interpretation in advance of
subsurface imaging.

There are many practical uses for metal detection on archaeological sites.

Regards,

Rich Green
Historic Archaeological Research
4338 Hadley Court