HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Bob Muckle <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 26 May 2010 08:50:12 -0700
For those interested in following a blog about an historical archaeology project, here you go: http://archaeologyfieldschool.blogspot.com

The blog is by a student on an archaeological fieldschool I am directing. Excavations are occurring at an early 20th century Japanese camp in the forests of western Canada. I have excavated at the site before and believe the site's initial use was a Japanese logging camp for a year or two around 1920. I have been puzzled by a few things though, such as a stove that appears to have been hidden and the differential preservation of cans in various parts of the site, so am working this year at testing my hypothesis that after its initial use as a logging camp, a small group of Japanese continued to secretly occupy the site until WW II internment.

Bob Muckle