HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
"Lockhart, Bill" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 26 Oct 2009 15:51:27 -0700
Hi All,

Two recently published collectors' books may be of interest to some of you.
Jay Hawkins is a geologist who also loves bottles.  His research is
excellent, and I edited his book (so I admit to some bias).  It is currently the best information
about Pittsburgh glass houses anywhere.  Jay's book is available on
Amazon.com.

I don't know Doug McCoy, but he comes highly recommended by Bill Porter --
one of the most knowledgeable people around on the subject of Coke bottles.
Some of his information on pages 1-9 is a bit off, especially when he talks
about machines and manufacturing techniques.  However, from that point on,
his work is very useful.  The main strength of his book lies in the more
recent Coke bottles, those made between 1955 and the 1990s.  There is no
better reference for those years.

Doug's book is available from the author for $34.  Contact him at:

Bill

Hawkins, Jay W.
 2009 Glasshouses & Glass Manufacturers of the Pittsburgh Region, 1795-1910.
iUniverse, Inc., New York.

McCoy, Doug
 2009 The Coca-Cola Bottle: A History of Returnable Bottles in the United
States with Quick Reference Guide.  Privately published.

P.S. I remembered the citations this time.

Bill Lockhart
Professor of Sociology
New Mexico State University
Alamogordo, NM