HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Benjamin Carter <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 17 Sep 2009 10:26:14 -0400
Histarchers,

I have a question that I know at least some of you have had to deal with
in the past and would like some advice.

I have a private landowner who claims to have some stones with
astronomical alignments. Some of the stones have makings on them, many
of which are in the same general direction. My first impression is that
these were damaged by a plow, but I do not have a great deal of
experience with this. I have read/heard/seen somewhere that plow marks
tend to be V-shaped in cross-section and not U-shaped. Is this correct
or does it depend upon the type of stone?

My main issue however, is that there is a stone wall involved in this
arrangement. The owner has located all of the deeds back to the
beginning of records in the area and these stone walls do not fall along
property lines. It is quite wide, approximately 10 feet. In plan, it is
in the shape of an L with the long side on the order of 100 feet long
and the short about half that. The angle is close to 90 degrees. The
'wall' is disorganized does not appear to have been well-laid, although
there was one spot that I could see well-laid stones beneath the tumble.
My question is, what else might this wall be? My first impression is
that it is merely a rock wall built from the removal of stones for a
historic field. This is partially corroborated by  reports as late as
the 1950s that there was a corn field just to the northeast of the long
wall. However, the L-shape doesn't seem to make sense. If a farmer was
removing stone from the field, why would he make the L? The short side
leads off into the woods to a point about half way between the right
angle and a stream. To the northeast of the wall is the owners lawn and
to the southwest is woods that leads to the stream- this area is very rocky.

A couple of relevant notes to the puzzle:
An elderly resident indicated that in his lifetime (nearly 100 years)
there had not been a structure in the location of this wall.
Local residents have collected prehistoric points in this general
vicinity for many years.

Can anyone think of references that I could look at to see some
diagrams, photos, etc... of a variety historic stone walls- particularly
of Eastern PA?

Cheers,
Ben Carter, PhD, RPA