HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Kendra Kennedy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 5 Aug 2009 19:47:26 -0700
Hello Histarchers,

I'm sending out this one last email about bottle marks on three different bottles from a partially submerged ballast dump in Pensacola, Florida.  The pile is first represented on an 1896 bird's eye map, but the diagnostic artifacts seem to place the major use of the pile between 1870 and 1920.

All of the following artifacts are pictured at <http://students.uwf.edu/kak24/artifacts.html>.

The first two marks--"6 to the Gallon", with a rotated C or omega symbol after it, and "6 to Gallon p"--are located on the fragmented bases of two dark olive green bottles.  I mentioned these marks in a previous email, but only received references to these bottles from Australian sites (Thanks to those who responded!).  I am specifically sending this request out to anyone who has found these items on an archaeological dig in a non-Australian context, especially on the American continent or in Europe.  I would be very grateful if you would send me an email!

Finally, another partial, eight-sided, light blue bottle was also recovered with a partial inscription on one of the faces.  What remains reads, "...HERS" on the first line and "...CK" on the second or third line.  While the Bottle Research Group had some suggestions, the inscription is too fragmentary for positive identification.  Has anyone else out there come across a similar bottle with a more complete inscription either on an archaeological dig or elsewhere?  If so, I would love to hear from you!

Please respond off-list to [log in to unmask]  Again, all these artifacts can be viewed at <http://students.uwf.edu/kak24/artifacts.html>.

Sincere thanks,
~Kendra Kennedy
UWF Graduate Student, Maritime and Historical Archaeology

P.S. I've already consulted Toulouse's Bottle Makers and Their Marks, the Historic Glass Bottle ID & Info website (<http://www.sha.org/bottle/index.htm>), many of Bill Lockhart's articles, David Whitten's Glass Factory Marks website (<http://myinsulators.com/glass-factories/bottlemarks.html>), and the knowledgeable members of the Bottle Research Group.  I've also conducted numerous Google searches with limited results.

--
Be Yourself @ mail.com!
Choose From 200+ Email Addresses