HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
George Myers <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 27 Jul 2009 08:52:03 -0700
Certainly looks like the one in Wikipedia. While working at Fort McHenry
National Monument we had the opportunity to see some of the collections
stored in the Civil War era bombproofs or ammo bunkers also associated with
the US NPS site, where the Bowie collection is stored, of over 1 million mostly
military artifacts, from "matchlock" rifles to WWI German pistols as I recall and
often a number of each. One of the artifacts that we were shown was an
enema in used during the Civil War which used kerosene. It was blue, a
vertical cylinder and was run by turning a crank, mounted I think to a table, at
least as it was shown and described and apparently is more directly cited in
the parlance of American English judging by the hits on Google. Also perhaps
from a similar rhyme from childhood:

Lincoln, Lincoln, I've been thinking,
What the hell have you've been drinking?
Looks like water, tastes like wine,
Oh my gosh it's turpentine!