HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Terry Majewski <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 18 May 2009 21:03:54 -0700
Dear Histarchers,

I strongly urge you to consider attending this year's ceramic workshop at Eastfield Village, New York. This year's unique program has alot to offer historical archaeologists, and the workshop gives you the chance to visit with and learn from lecturers and fellow attendees in a relaxed rural setting. If you want to really learn about how historical-period ceramics were made and used, this is the place. I've been focusing on ceramics in my research for over 25 years, but I always learn a great deal and come away feeling energized after attending an Eastfield workshop. Eastfield is located in southern Rensselaer County, near the Massachusetts border. You can stay for free at Eastfield Village or in many of the nearby, reasonably priced B&Bs or motels. The cost of the workshop is well worth it.

Don't miss this opportunity!

Terry Majewski

For more information, go to http://www.greatamericancraftsmen.org/ or call or email Don Carpentier at (518) 766-2422 or [log in to unmask]

OUT OF THE WOODS: A Staffordshire Family of Potters & Its Influence on 18th & 19th-century British Pottery
June 26-28 (3days) Fee: $465.00

Great changes swept across the British pottery industry during the era of industrialization. Many of the designs & innovations that propelled the advances were the work of members of the Wood Family. Whether it was furnishing models & molds for a myriad of items to other factories, designing & creating beautiful ornamental figures, or expanding their ventures to other countries, the Woods - Aaron, Ralph, John, & Enoch among them - were always at the forefront of the industry in the Potteries. In the past few years, a considerable number of new documents relating to the family have come to light. Their contents, as well as continued research on existing pots and archeological sites, have increased our understanding of just how important their work was to this industry.

We are fortunate again to have a large number of shards from several sites in Burslem that are associated with the Woods. This also includes a number of their marked pots. Shards include many from the 1831-35 deposit found at Burslem Town Hall Site by the Time Team in 1999.

New Feature: The schedule for this year includes something new. On Friday evening, we will have a period dinner prepared & served in the Briggs Tavern for all attendees at no extra charge. That evening will include an informal opportunity to display & discuss pots & shards as well as an informal presentation on dipped wares repeated from the 2009 New York Ceramics Fair Lecture Series.

Lectures include:

  a.. The Wood Family of Burslem. Those who missed Miranda's superb lecture, The Early Life of Josiah Wedgwood, at the Ceramics Fair-based in part on newly discovered Wood family papers acquired by the Potteries Museum-will benefit from her Eastfield lecture based on those same sources. Miranda Goodby, Keeper of Ceramics, The Potteries Museum, Stoke-on-Trent.

  b.. Comparison of wasters to extant examples of dipped wares & attribution to the firm of Wood & Caldwell. Jonathan Rickard, collector and author, Deep River CT

  c.. Discovery of a waster pit in Burslem, ca. 1800, with an extraordinary array of engine-turned dipped wares. Don Carpentier, Director of East?eld Village, potter, & lecturer, E Nassau NY

  d.. American views on transfer-printed earthenwares from Staffordshire. Ted Gallagher, attorney & collector, NY

  e.. Expanded information on the connection of the Woods to Portsmouth, New Hampshire. Louise Richardson, research associate, Strawbery Banke Museum, Portsmouth, NH.

  f.. Evidence of the importation of Wood & Caldwell and Enoch Wood products to Alexandria VA. Barbara Magid, laboratory director, Historic Alexandria Archaeology, Alexandria VA.

  g.. Staffordshire figures & how various members of the Wood family contributed to their development & manufacture. Miranda Goodby

  h.. The Enoch Wood & Son wasters (1831-35) from the Burslem Town Hall Dig in 1999 & an array of similar extant wares with matching characteristics. Don Carpentier.

  i.. Demonstrations of early British pottery manufacturing techniques including hand & machine jiggering, jollying, lathe turning & decorating, press molding, sprigging , etc. This is a rare chance for participants to see the complete series of processes in the manufacture of a number of items from the period.
  Stephen Apisa & Don Carpentier