HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Andy Higgs <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Andy Higgs <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 4 May 2009 07:37:42 -0800
Monique and Histarchers,

Since I too have found sardine cans on early 20th c. sites in Alaska and posed (too myself) many years ago the same question, I decided to delve further into Monique's query with some web searching. I located a Norwegian canning museum curator who is able to shed some light on the subject (see below). But I also suspect there is more to this story since the French and US also had their own Sardine canneries and markets during the early 20th century, and that certain Sardines were preferred over others. As to the origin/evolution of the sardine can shape and key-opening style, I believe the Norwegians may have been on the patent forefront in that realm as well. The Norge/Norway on ceramics is part of another story that maybe some of our ceramic colleagues should be able to address. Piers Crocker's ([log in to unmask]) response to my query follows, but please note that Mr. Crocker is also interested in any distribution data that we could provide him toward their own research:

Piers Crocker responds:

"As to the actual range of dates when "Norway/Norvège" was used, I am doubtful whether we have enough historic cans in the collection to pinpoint the range. The usual techniques for dating cans are 1. By the design of the label/enamelled lid; 2. By the construction of the can (whether soldered/seamed/pressed, whether tinplate, laquered tinplate, aluminum or laquered aluminum was used, whether it had a scored line for opening, or not; whether the opening tab is in a line with the long axis of the can lid, or angled to the side, or a ring-pull); 3. By the way the lid was attached (soldered/seamed) and by the shape/size of the can. Even so, "pinpointing" to an actual year would be difficult.

There was a long discussion - in the 1920s if I remember right - regarding regulating what information should be put on a can, not least with reference to "country of origin" and the language(s) in which it should be written. Even so, the reason for having "Norway/Norvège" would have as its basis that the States was historically, (and still is) the largest market for Norwegian sardines, and that many consignments which came to the States would be further exported to (French-speaking) Canada, quite apart from export to francophone Africa and France/Belgium, which were also significant markets. During the First World War, Norway was neutral and earned enormous export revenues by exporting to both sides - and one cannot rule out the possibility that some of the cans exported to the States in the years immediately following WWI were originally destined for the trenches in France and Belgium.
I will see whether the articles in the trade journal for the canning industry (Tidsskrift for Hermetikindustri) which report the labelling regulations shed any light on the start date for the practice, but I have a feeling that some cans may still even today be stamped with "Norway/Norvège"

I in turn am very interested to hear of Norwegian sardine cans showing up on US historic habitation sites - do any of them have the labels - or enamelled lids - intact? That would certainly be a help in dating them. Is the distribution of find spots such that we can identify the port of entry? how far did the cans travel on average from the port of entry? Was the market limited to particular socio-economic groups? We have general export figures from this end, but no breakdown as to which of the 100 or so Norwegian canneries which we know of at the time was most active in the US market. The labels should provide the name of the cannery, at the very least.

May I ask, when you mention your "colleagues", are they academic historians, collectors, museum staff, or a combination? Whatever the answer, I am more than happy to help wherever and however I can from this end!

With best wishes,

Piers Crocker
Curator,
Norwegian Canning Museum, Stavanger."

>>> Post 5/4/2009 8:31 >>>

>>> Andy Higgs <[log in to unmask]> 5/2/2009 8:57 >>>
Hello Stavanger Museum,
I was wondering if the museum research staff can tell me why machine-made sardine cans from the early part of the 20th century are sometimes stamped "Norway/Norvege" on their bottoms. These cans show up in the United States historic habitation sites. I am trying to pin down what is the reason to have an English and French spelling of Norway on the product prior to World War II. I am also trying to pinpoint a start date and end date when this was occurring in Norway's canning industry, for example, I want to be able to say something like "The combination of Norway/Norvege will be found on canned fish products exported from Norway to the United States from 1910 to 1940." Any information you have on this subject would be of interest to me and many of my colleagues here in the States. Thanks, Andy