HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

Date:
Tue, 31 Mar 2009 04:27:12 EDT
Actually, there are many people who contributed to our current  understanding
of the field of historical archaeology. Let us not forget Rick  Sprague, John
Goggin, Rex Gerald, or many of the first people who formed  together at the
beginning of the Society for Historical Archaeology. Back in the  post war
1950s and '60s, no one had even debated whether to call it "historic"  or
"historical" archaeology or whether we were to come from history or  anthropology.
Those were scholarly battles for another time. But just because  Bob Schuyler
settled on historical archaeology does not mean the  evolution of what we embrace
in method and theory stopped at some point in the  past. The truth be told,
people over age 60 who have been in this business  for a while probably learned
entirely different field methodologies than  the younger generations. Just
look at the shift from architecture to artifacts  in that time. And while some
have told me offline in the past few days that  "these issues have already been
decided" and that "further discussion is  pointless," no issues have truly
been decided by the rest of us and further  discussion will be fruitful.

Ron May
Legacy 106, Inc.

In a message dated 3/31/2009 12:29:50 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time,