HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

Date:
Sat, 7 Mar 2009 09:23:36 EST
As a historical archaeologist who began as a prehistorian, I find knowledge
of and collaboration with colleagues in history to add another rewarding
dimension to the study of the past.   It is rather like beginning to see a two
dimensional scene in three dimensions (or a black-and-white scene in color). Yes,
we all have our shortcomings.   Historians tend to focus on the broader picture
or on specific individuals, while we tend to focus on things that were often
taken for granted at the time and thus not noted in documents (types of
tableware used, how waste was disposed, the details of technology. etc.).
Occasionally, the archaeologist is rewarded by working with materials that can be
associated with particular historical individuals.   Then we begin to understand
the historians point of view.   When we discover data, we are quick to accept
it as "self-evident" rather than as a matter of interpretation (this is why it
is always wise to separate the data from the interpretation, so the "baby is
not later discarded with the bathwater").   Historians have long known that
documents are seldom self-evident and must be critically evaluated (who wrote
them?, for whom?, for what purpose?).   In recent years, collaboration on
interdisciplinary teams of historians and others has proven to be very fruitful for
all of us.   Much of this has been the results of required cultural resource
studies.

Bob Hoover

A Good Credit Score is 700 or Above. See yours in
just 2 easy steps!
(http://pr.atwola.com/promoclk/100126575x1219957551x1201325337/aol?redir=http:%2F%2Fwww.freecreditreport.com%2Fpm%2Fdefault.aspx%3Fsc%3D66807
2%26hmpgID%3D62%26bcd%3DfebemailfooterNO62)