HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Robert Dean <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 5 Mar 2009 17:07:02 -0900
I think it's worthwhile to return to the original message, for moment, that
this incident "makes the case for digitization". While it is important that
we maintain paper records, and ensure their proper curation, digitization
has important positive consequences. First of all, a great many digitized
records make it to the web, where many of them are downloaded, and in
essence become backed up not on one server farm, but on hundreds, sometimes
even thousands, of separate computers. In addition, records which are
otherwise out of reach to many researchers (too far to travel, not enough
money....don't forget us students) can become accessible through web portals
or records in other electronic distribution formats. And finally, there is
searchability. In my job, I make constant use of scanned documents that
utilized optical-character-recognition (OCR), allowing me to search a great
many documents...that do not have indexes....for a wide range of search
terms (these documents are often 100 pages long or more). While I could do
this without a digitized copy, time and money will not always allow it.

A good example is mining location notices, affidavits of annual labor, etc.
that I have often looked through for my research. I must say that looking
through microfiched indexes and trying to make out poorly microfiched
historic documents is nowhere as nice as searching through such records for
1979 on, which are digitized and electronically indexed. Not to mention my
trepidation when the microfiche's condition does not look so great, and I
worry about damaging it in long searches through it - since there are so few
copies.

-Max Dean