HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

Date:
Fri, 30 Jan 2009 13:42:36 EST
“Do, or do not. There is no 'try'.”  Jedi Master Yoda, from “The  Empire
Strikes Back”

Mike Polk
Sagebrush Consultants, L.L.C.
Ogden, Utah

In a message dated 1/30/2009 7:17:24 A.M. Mountain Standard Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

Some  really great ones have been cited already but a glance
at my syllabus for  Introduction to Material Culture reveals
my favorite. It is by Randall  Jarrel, the poet. I discovered
it cited in a New York Times Book review.  It is from an
unpublished manuscript:  I have used it a  thousand
(hyperbole) times:

"Things last by being lost or  broken

The shard is safest under the loess

The Ark sails under  the waters of the earth"

of course there is always Green  Day
"Time grabs you by the wrist, directs you where to go"

and the  Bard of America Walt Whitman:

"The Past-the infinite greatnes of  the Past! For what is the
present after all but a growth out of the  PAST"

steps!
cemailfooterNO62)