HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
"Richard W. Galloway" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Richard W. Galloway
Date:
Wed, 31 Dec 2008 08:26:06 -0900
Anna, a good place to start is with Cartridges of the world : a complete and
illustrated reference for over 1500 cartridges by Barnes, Frank C., 1918-
Iola, Wis. : Newton Abbot : Krause ; David & Charles [distributor]
This will give you a good background on the cartridges out there, the
diameters of the bullets, the basic designs that were in use at the time of
the civil war, etc. There are other "specialized" books out on the guns of
the Civil War, but all of my books on that aspect of history are in storage
while I am finishing up my masters degree in Anthropology in AK.

Hope this helps, at least a start.

Richard W. Galloway