HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
"Matchen, Paul (Austin,TX-US)" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 23 Dec 2008 09:12:30 -0500
Hi Carl,

One-hole discs have been recovered from both military and domestic sites
during the 18th and early 19th century sites in North America though the
technology seems to stem from Roman settlements of long ago.

"One-hole" buttons/discs were made through the use of center-pronged
drill bits.  Rather than being produced for a specific use/purpose, the
center hole seems to be a by-product of manufacture, which was formed as
the lesser side prong of the bit scored and cut the outer shape of the
button through the material.   The center hole served to align the
material with the bit while turning (e.g., when a hand-drill/lathe was
used the apparatus would score the top side of the material until the
center prong [which is longer] poked all the way through the material).
Then the material was flipped over and the bit was aligned/threaded
through the hole on the opposite face so that the scoring of the side
prong could continue cutting the disc through the slab (see  MacGregor
1985; Klippel and Schroedl 1999).   Hinks (1995) also covers one-hole
disc manufacturing in his volume on 18th century buttons, an ambitious
and informative account.

Center prong bit technology was also used to the production "five-hole"
buttons.  In recent conference papers, I have referred to this mode of
production as "centrally-aligned" as opposed to "non-centrally aligned"
("four-", "three-", and "two-" holed examples with no center hole),
which makes use of a vise to position the material during manufacture
rather than a center prong.

The most recent paper I gave on this topic was at the 2006 SAAs in
Puerto Rico called "Utilitarian Bone Button Classification: A
Technological Approach", which discusses the variations in bone button
manufacture, in addition to incorporating observations from several bone
button assemblages from the Southern Appalachians and the Northern
Plains.  In this paper, I used both photo-micrographs and scanning
electron microscope images for illustration of tooling mark phenomena.

If anyone is interested in a pdf version of my paper with slides, please
contact me off-list.

Happy Holidays!

Paul

Hinks, Stephen
1995 A Structural and Functional Analysis of Eighteenth Century Buttons.
Volumes in Historical Archaeology 32. South Carolina Institute of
Archaeology and Anthropology, The University of South Carolina,
Columbia.

Klippel Walter E. and Gerald Schroedl
1999 African Slave Craftsmen and Single-hole Bone Discs from Brimstone
Hill, St.Kitts, West Indies. Post-Medieval Archaeology 33:222-232.

MacGregor, Arthur
1985 Bone, Antler, Ivory, & Horn: The Technology of Skeletal Materials
Since the Roman Period. Croom Helm Publishing, London; and Barnes and
Noble Books,
Totowa.

Paul M. Matchen, M.A., R.P.A.
Staff Archaeologist/Principal Investigator

TRC
505 E. Huntland Drive, Suite 250
Austin, TX 78752

512.684.3147  phone