HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Sarah Sticha <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 17 Nov 2008 20:17:24 -0600
Hello:

I'm a student at the University of Chicago, and I'm hoping to get opinions on
some pipe bowl fragments found this summer in New Orleans, Louisiana behind
St. Antoine's church.  I've uploaded a picture at    http://archaeoseek.ning.com/
photo/pipe-lot-135?context=user   The four incised fragments on the
left are the pipe bowl.  They appear to be hand built, have a black residue on the
inside that has yet to be tested but that indicates it was used, and date to the
early- to mid-1700s.

So far I've been unable to identify either tribal provenience or even a general
area it might have come from.  The incisions don't follow typical Mississippian
patterns and the pipe shape itself is more typically European.  This is my first
time working with pipes, so if there are any good typologies out there for North
America that I somehow missed, I'd appreciate that information, plus of course
any insights you have to offer about this particular artifact.

Cordially,

Sarah Sticha