HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
scarlett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 10 Sep 2008 12:46:22 -0500
Hi Meli.

I agree with Andy and Lyle.  I have never seen a rail spike with a
prepared hole in the shank.  Such a hole would compromise the strength
of a spike subjected to the lateral stresses of a rail, particularly
if all the spikes had such holes.

Do all the artifacts have the same hole?  While I can't tell if the
object was intended to pivot, the hole suggests that it was intended
to be bolted or pinned together with something else.  The "head" end
looks to have an articulating surface.  There are no hints of hinge
fracture or stress to indicate that the end is broken.  If anything, I
think the opposite end (the 'tail') might be broken.

I am not convinced this is a "blank" meant to be further worked.  It
looks to be cast in that shape on purpose.

Knowing the foundry would help narrow the guessing.

Tim