HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 23 Jul 2008 12:06:27 -0700
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (33 lines)
Hello all,

Since photos can't be posted here...I posted them on the Archaeoseek site...under my Artifact ID page.  Hopefully you can access it at this link...if you are a Member:
http://archaeoseek.ning.com/group/artifactidhelp

The items are from a 1920s-1950s assemblage from various trash deposits (found during trench monitoring) in San Pedro, CA (Port of L.A.)...in an area that used to be known as 'Mexican Hollywood'.

For the post on the 2 ceramic items...

One is a 2 1/8” wide/long, ½” thick, molded concave-sided triangular earthenware 'object' with a 5/8" dia. depressed center that ½ is painted blue, under glaze. Glaze goes only partially down the edges. Is it a decorative ‘center’ tile? Or…??? (I would think a tile would be of porcelain tho).

The 2nd item is a (burnt) rim frag from an estimated 8” dia. vessel (?) made of purple-red clay with subangular sand ‘temper’. It has an olive green int/ext glaze with a "salt glaze" appearance (‘pock marks’), at least on the ext. The wall is 1/2" thick. There are four 1/16" incised grooves, 1/4" apart, starting 9/16" in/down from the rim on the inside (what for?).
Is it a flower pot? (but why the grooves?)
Or a sewer/water pipe???
Or...???

The 3rd item ('Smiley face' post) is possibly celluloid (it's thin, brittle 'plastic') and is a (sort creepy) smiley face with a translucent backing (2nd piece). Measures 2 5/8" dia. and 1/2" thick. 
With the 3/16" wide flat 'border'...it would seem to have 'fit" into something...perhaps a cloth body (head)??
Or would it have been something light was shown through?
The orange coloration is staining from the metal in the deposit. It appears to have had painted blue eyes...originally. ??

HELP!!  And Thanks.  I can send photos to those not "on" Archaeoseek.

Carol Serr
ICF Jones & Stokes
CRM Lab Director
9775 Businesspark Ave. Ste 200 • San Diego  CA  92131
858-578-8964 Ext 319  •  FAX 858-578-0578
[log in to unmask]  www.jonesandstokes.com / www.icfi.com

  Please consider the environment before printing this message. 

ATOM RSS1 RSS2