HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

Date:
Thu, 19 Jun 2008 18:53:04 EDT
Of course, one might ask why were you digging or why did you feel the need
to recover the plaster? Assuming you had a research design with architectural
questions and the plaster contributes to addressing important questions or
might  address future questions, then conservation assumes a higher priority than
 simply finding something while addressing a larger issue. In either case,
once  the decision has been made to remove something from its anaerobic and
stable  environment, a needs assessment is in order to triage what to do next. I
should  also think that architectural plaster might play into a public
interpretive  project down the line.

In 1981, I test excavated a field block of 35 square meters in area to test
if we could determine something of the appearance of a 18th century Spanish
cannon battery. None in California survive to this day, but this one was in
ruins and buried under a 1910-1940s U.S. Army parking lot (now on a Navy base).
My crew hit directly on top of a crumbled merlon and we recovered large
samples  of architecture for analysis. We completed analysis of 1200 pieces,
selected the  samples that would best contribute to answering our question and
returned the  rest of the material back to the site in 1987. Although we tested in
several  more areas until 1996, we never had the luck of the first discovery.
Those  recovreed samples were dried, measured, described, photographed, some
were  sketeched, then they were wrapped in acid-free paper, and set in heavy
wood  boxes coated with 2-ply epoxy and lined with acid-free padding. They are
all in  an underground bunker that is temperature and humidity controlled. We
bring them  out for exhibition and student analysis on appointment. The key is
how the  plaster samples might be used in the future.

Ron May
Legacy 106, Inc.

In a message dated 6/19/2008 11:03:27 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time,