HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Timothy Scarlett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 16 May 2008 11:31:31 -0500
I would use Acryloid (Paraloid) B-72 (SKU: F4022-001) diluted with
acetone.  You brush it on as the wood dries during excavation.
Repeated coats will consolidate the first few millimeters of the
surface, then once in the lab you can submerge a section of the wood
and impregnate it.  This treatment is reversable using acetone.
There are also trademark products.  Try this website:
http://stores.homestead.com/conservemp/Detail.bok?no=703
Cheers,
Tim

Timothy Scarlett