HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Jonathan Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 11 Apr 2008 17:57:43 -0400
I don't know of a all-encompassing typology, especially given the
regional variations in markers.  That being said, here's a couple of
resources that might be useful:

Check out M. Ruth Little's "Sticks and Stones:  Three Centuries of
North Carolina Gravemarkers".
As the title says, it focuses on gravemarkers in North Carolina, but
is probably applicable to a large part of the SE coast.  In addition,
she discusses some of the folk traditions that I haven't seen
documented anywhere else.

The best general overview I've seen, and one that may come closest to
meeting your needs, is "Mortuary Monuments and Burial Grounds of the
Historic Period" by Harold Mytum.  Traditions (and marker types) from
the late medieval period through the 20th century are documented in
brief.  The book focuses heavily on British and Anglo-American
traditions, but does have some mention of European traditions in
general.

Jonathan Smith