HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

Date:
Sat, 8 Mar 2008 03:35:42 EST
Dave,

Others will probably say this same thing, but primer paint will not  preserve
a cannon that has soaked in sea water for a long time. The metal will
corrode to dust if the salt is not leached out of the metal. When six cannons  were
discovered on the California coast in 1981, the University of California
arranged to soak them in repeated baths of distilled water for years to get the
salt crystals out. I think they even used electrolysis to accelerate the
process. Once the metal is clear of the salt, then it has to be thoroughly dried
and then sealed with a special wax to prevent future corrosion. There is a lot
of literature on metal conservation. I suggest you retain the services of a
professional conservationist to clean the metal.

Ron May
Legacy 106, Inc.

In a message dated 3/7/2008 9:45:23 A.M. Pacific Standard Time,