HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
"McMahan, Dave (DNR)" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 6 Mar 2008 19:32:17 -0900
Good point Ron, and I've looked into this a little bit.  As I understand it, however, these type guns were small enough to have been also commonly used on landing boats.  What I didn't mention in the original query is that there are a number of known Tlingit sites in the general area (including a midden of unknown age in the immediate vicinity).  It's possible that it was taken in a raid.  Of course all this is speculation.  My best guess would be that was from a Russian vessel, but knowing the age and place of manufacture might help sort this out.  Thanks for your comments.

Dave

Dave McMahan
State Archaeologist, Deputy SHPO
Alaska Office of History and Archaeology
550 W. 7th Ave., Suite 1310
Anchorage, AK 99501
Voice: (907)269-8723
Fax: (907)269-8908