HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
George Myers <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 16 Feb 2008 18:52:01 -0700
"China For America Export Porcelain of the 18th and 19th Centuries" (1980) by
Herbert, Peter and Nancy Schiffer has a very good introduction to the trade in
opium and other goods in "Early Chinese-American commerce with porcelain"
the first chapter, pages 15-20 (it also involved opium trade with Turkey and
India) The "Experiment" one of the early American ships to sail to China (1786-
1787) built in the Albany, NY area, which sailed with a small crew (ten?) I
recall, one a free African-American, was successful. I heard at a National
Maritime Historical Society meeting a number of years ago a replica was
proposed to be built and sailed back to China to commemorate the historical
event.