HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
"Boyer, Jeffrey, DCA" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 18 Jan 2008 13:37:06 -0700
Doug,
We found what we think is a pattern in which Spanish settlers in northern New Mexico following the opening of the Santa Fe Trail in 1821 and particularly the advent of the railroad in 1880 (or so) were acquiring and using pieces rather than sets of Euroamerican pottery, at least in part because they had access to pottery produced by nearby Puebloan potters. That situation is discussed in a report entitled, "Adaptions on the Anasazi and Spanish Frontiers: Excavations at Five Sites near Abiquiu, Rio Arriba County, New Mexico," by James L. Moore, Jeffrey L. Boyer, and Daisy F. Levine (see Chapter 18). The report is Archaeology Notes No. 187, Office of Archaeological Studies, Museum of New Mexico, Santa Fe. If you would like to obtain a copy, contact Rob Turner at [log in to unmask] or 505.476.0168. If for some reason those contacts don't work, let me know.
Jeff

Jeffrey L. Boyer, RPA
Project Director
Office of Archaeological Studies, Museum of New Mexico
mail: P.O. Box 2087, Santa Fe, New Mexico  87504
physical: 407 Galisteo Street, Suite B-100, Santa Fe, New Mexico  87501
tel: 505.827.6387          fax: 505.827.3904
e-mail: [log in to unmask] <mailto:[log in to unmask]>
Scientific paradigms -- and politicians -- are like diapers: they should be changed often, and for the same reasons.