HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Timothy Scarlett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 31 Aug 2007 09:39:10 -0400
> - - -
> Has anyone else seen tiny gnaw marks on bone buttons, handles
> (toothbrushes) and such...from rodents?  I wonder how common this
> is, in
> dumped refuse?
>
> Also noticed this on hard rubber 'irrigators' (douche and enema tubes)
> from a privy.  The bone, I can see the critters wanting calcium, or
> something...but rubber??

This is extraordinarily common.  All members of Rodentia, as well as
the Lagomorphs (bunnies, hares, rabbits), instinctively gnaw on
almost anything.  It does not have to be food.  They must gnaw to
keep their teeth sharp and the correct size.

"Despite their morphological and ecological diversity, all rodents
share one characteristic: their dentition is highly specialized for
gnawing. All rodents have a single pair of upper and a single pair of
lower incisors, followed by a gap ( diastema), followed by one or
more molars or premolars. No rodent has more than one incisor in each
quadrant, and no rodent has canines. Rodent incisors are rootless,
growing continuously. Their anterior and lateral surfaces are covered
with enamel, but their posterior surface is not. During gnawing, as
the incisors grind against each other, they wear away the softer
dentine, leaving the enamel edge as the blade of a chisel. This "self
sharpening" system is very effective and is one of the keys to the
enormous success of rodents."

If I didn't see gnaw marks at all on a site, I would have a soil
sample checked for toxicity.
Cheers,
Tim

Quote from: