HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
George Myers <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 14 Dec 2006 12:11:56 -0500
I wish this was available when the Canadians and Americans, Mexicans
and Puerto Ricans handed me a Rollei close-range photogrammetric
camera and software from a now unified Germany and said "we" were
going to do this. It was done with 8"x10" photos taped consecutively
to a 48" digitizing tablet and accompanying camera software. Arguably
more accurate than US HABS/HAER, its still not in use to my knowledge
at the Federal level (including the FBI, though introduced to them by
Canadians) in the US though might be in forensic use in Canada. In
Great Britain, it is being used in some car accident recordation.

As explained to me, it was looked into after a US armed forces crash
in Gander Newfoundland was covered by a blizzard before appropriate
investigation could be done. It was thought one could use the
Rollimetric system flying by in a helicopter and with appropriate
metrics, fulfill forensic aircraft crash investigation. (Prometric,
Andrew Lane, pers. comm. 1989).

George Myers

(not any one's opinion other than my own, because I'm not to have one)