HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
Date:
Fri, 29 Oct 2010 03:35:51 -0500
From:
Alasdair Brooks <[log in to unmask]>
In addition to Paul's helpful comment below (and the trade directories
site is an excellent resource) I'll take a moment to note that Cockermouth
(as it's more usually spelled these days) also has a very active and
helpful local museum that doubles up as a local history society:

http://www.cockermouthmuseumgroup.org.uk/

Alasdair Brooks

Hi

Try the Historical directories website for trade directories for Cumberland

http://www.historicaldirectories.org/hd/

paul

PAUL COURTNEY
CO-EDITOR POST-MEDIEVAL ARCHAEOLOGY
LEICESTER
UK

On 28/10/2010 07:14, Richard Wright wrote:
> Hi;
> I am posting this for a friend, Dave, J, who is re-mining some 1860s
workings.
They are finding some interesting stuff but he has a question about a button.
Perhaps someone can help him.  His letter below is to a Cockersmouth web
source.
Any ideas?

> Richard Wright (BC)
>
> HI.
> I'm writing you from British Columbia in the Cariboo Goldfields.
> Our company has been digging in historic gold mine shafts that date from
various
periods back to the 1860's.  In a recent cleanup I found a button which I
hope you
can help me identify.
> It looks like it could be a shirt button or a fly button on a pair of
pants.
Embossed on the button are the words:
> JCW DRUMMOND
> COCKERSMOUTH
>
> It is no surprise to have such a button as many miners came from the lakes
district and other areas of England, Wales and Scotland.  I surmise that
there was
a clothing manufacturer in Cockersmouth by the name of Drummond, but I
can't prove
it by googling it.  I hope you can shed some light on this small mystery,
and tell
me if you know of such a manufacturer, what types of clothing they might have
produced and when they might have begun and ended their business.
> Thanks for your help.
> To see where the button was found visit, www.williamscreekgoldfields.ca
and click
on the 'Breaking News' icon in the lower left.