HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Mon, 18 Jan 2010 12:33:26 -0700
From:
Christopher Fennell <[log in to unmask]>
Sender:
Kelley,

I only gave my credit card to the registration desk at the Amelia Island
Inn (where I stayed), and then used the hotel's internal charge id. card
for all other charges at the resort (restaurants, etc.) and never used my
credit card again while there.

Apparently, someone gained access to credit card numbers through the
hotel system, then sent those to others who produce and sell
counterfeit cards with those numbers. The fraudulent charges were from
in-person purchases using counterfeit cards. Under those circumstances,
I suspect it will be the stores that failed to check for a picture ID that
will bear the cost of the fraudulent charges. My credit card company was
very prompt in detecting the charges and shutting down the account.

Best wishes,
Chris