HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
Date:
Mon, 18 Jan 2010 10:17:12 -0800
From:
Adrian Myers <[log in to unmask]>
During the meeting I was at the Amelia Plantation business center, about to
use my credit card to pay for services, when the staff member behind the
counter advised me to NOT to use my credit card because "anybody might see
the receipt laying around". At the time I thought she was referring to other
guests, or hypothetical trespassing thieves. Given what appear to be these
in-house credit card number thefts, in retrospect, I wonder if the staff
member knew (or had hear rumors maybe) about other staff members stealing
card numbers? Again in retrospect, does it not seem quite strange for a
hotel staff member to advise a customer* to not use their credit card *due
to security fears?!  (Incidentally, my card, which I used at the front desk,
has not been used illicitly.)

I wonder if it would be appropriate for the SHA to contact the hotel
management, the Better Business Bureau, or take some other steps? After all
we spent tens (hundreds?) of thousands of dollars at their resort...

Cheers,

Adrian Myers

Adrian T. Myers
PhD Student, Stanford Archaeology Center & Department of Anthropology,
Stanford University

Adrian Myers
Stanford Archaeology Center
P.O. Box 20446
Stanford, CA 94309
USA

Sent from San Jose, California, United States