From:
Peter Borst <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 13 May 2008 18:04:03 -0400
On Tue, 13 May 2008 07:06:52 -0700, Paul Cherubini <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>Since CCD colonies reportedly tend not to be robbed out by
>healthy honeybees, wax moths and other opportunistic
>insects immediately after collapse, a chemical in CCD
>hives must be driving the invaders away.

As Jim points out, it is very hard to drive bees out of a hive with anything
that doesn't have a strong odor. Personally, I doubt that there is anything
repelling bees from these hives.

Countless times I have been in apiaries with severe winter kill or autumn
collapse and seen piles of honey apparently ignored by bees, ants and whatever.

I suppose it has to do with several factors: not enough forage age bees left
to rob? something else in the area interests them more? too cold to fly?
just haven't stumbled on it yet?

maybe bees are selected by and large not to rob, since robbing cause disease
to spread and kill off heavy robbing strains. maybe there only a few hundred
robbing bees in a given colony and they get the rest of the hive riled up

maybe, maybe, maybe

pb