From:
Robert Brenchley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 8 Nov 2008 17:42:24 EST
[log in to unmask] writes:

<<The high losses cited for last winter come from real data and  ring true
around here with some beekeepers losing a high proportion of their  stocks.  I
lost three out of five and that is unusual.   >>
I didn't do so badly, losing one out of four, not counting the one I united
due to bad temper. I picked up two swarms in July, which replaced them nicely,
 though it was too late to get any honey from them. the honey crop was
athetic, a  mere ten pounds. They were short of stores by the end of the winter, and
they're  even shorter now, despite feeding. As a result, there's a distinct
chance of  starvation if I'm not careful. I don't believe in routine feeding,
but this  year I'm going to be giving candy to every colony. Colonies were
never broodless  during trhe season, but they took a very long time to build up,
and spent much  of the summer unable to forage due to the foul weather.

Regards,

Robert Brenchley
Birmingham  UK