From:
Grant Gillard <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sun, 21 Sep 2008 12:40:42 -0700
Interesting thoughts on this elusive topic.

I'm a type-2 diabetic.  After suffering sufficient spousal abuse of "You know, you really should see a doctor for an annual check up," I decided to go.  After all, I'm approaching 50, the magical age for digital exams and prostate trouble.  My mother unexpectedly died when she was age 47.   I always had good health and no symptoms of any kind so I never saw the need to see a doctor.  I am not obese and leisurely exercised fairly regularly, but not consistently, and not too strenuously.  I ate whatever and whenever I wanted, seemingly without consequence.  But the weight of my wife on my back suggested an appointment to conclude there was nothing wrong with me.

Initially, on the first of my routine office visits, my fasting glucose levels were 150 to 160 mg/dL.  At that time, a diabetic level was 126 mg.dL.  My doctor questioned if, in fact, I was truly fasting.  He wanted to put me on a medication of some sort.  The alternative was moderation in my diet, more disciplined exercise, weight loss of about 15 to 20 pounds (I wasn't obese, just expanding in the wrong direction).  He said a lot of people make the promise to cut back and exercise more, but few have the discipline and perseverance to keep it up.  He was ready to write me a prescription.  As much as I was in denial of being diabetic, I was going to prove him wrong.

I cut out regular sugared/HFCS soda completely (it wasn't uncommon for me to get some gas and one of those kidney-busting 64-ounce sodas every day) and ate smaller, more regular meals with more fiber and exercised more consistently.

My weight is only down about 5 pounds, but I feel like I've replaced muscle weight for the fat weight.  My last check up was last week and my fasting glucose is now at 118 mg/dL and my A1C is down to 5.4

My doctor is satisfied, but still wants that fasting level below 99.  I don't look overweight or out of shape, I still love my honey (yeah, that other one, too), and I occasionally partake of some of the worst glycemically indexed foods.  I still deny I'm a REAL diabetic, I'm still clueless as to the real cause, but for me, moderation and smaller portions has worked wonders, combined with some consistent exercise.

I think, rather ignorantly, the cause lies with an abundance of overly-processed foods and an increasingly sedentary lifestyle combined with older age and a slowing metabolism.  Remember those days when we actually had to get up to change the TV channel?

My doctor says there is no cure.  The disease is progressive.  The only difference is the acceleration and our choices that affect that rate.

Grant
Jackson, MO