Condense Mail Headers

From:
Peter Borst <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 8 Jul 2008 15:14:51 -0400
Barry Donovan <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>Is anyone looking for prions in bees?

> We do know that insects are particularly rich host sources for
Spiroplasmas. Some insect derived Spiroplasmas double as insect pathogens as
well. Two Spiroplasma species, S. melliferum and S. apis are highly
pathogenic to honey bees. These species cross the insect gut barrier and
reach the insect hemolymph, where they multiply abundantly and eventually
kill the bee, seriously degrading beehive populations, thereby adding a
commercial research impetus.

> The distinct similarity between TSE (Transmissible Spongiform
Encephalopathies) and insect derived Spiroplasma neuronal infection, plus
the independent and reproducing nature of the TSE agent within the
documented insects, demands that additional TSE-oriented Spiroplasma
insect-vector investigations and concordant vertebrate impact research must
be conducted.

"Chronic Wasting Disease: A working hypothesis, the Agent and its Transmission
R.A. Forrest