From:
James Fischer <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 20 Oct 2008 09:03:34 -0400
> I am interested in the substance as a deterrent
> though after a colony has been completely removed
> and the nest space filled with insulation.  I want
> to deter another swarm from moving into an adjacent
> section of the wall.

No such substance exists.  I was paid some serious
money to "look into the question" by the people who
wanted to "keep bees away" from seedless mandarin
oranges, I think I can safely say that the only way
to "keep bees away" over the long term is to attract
them to something else that is consistently more tempting.

Therefore, the only practical solution I can offer is to
suggest that you place a well-baited (old comb, pheromone
lure, and well-used deep) bait hive near the target structure.
Give the bees a better choice of home, and they won't set up
shop in the walls.  This is exactly why I suggested the
"long-term contract" in my first response to your questions.

> No need for [repellents] in structure removals since
> structures can be disassembled.

Those who do it more often seem to disagree.

> If Bee Quick can be used as a deterrent, how long will
> it last before the active ingredients evaporate or
> disintegrate?

A matter of minutes.  Less than an hour.  Depends upon
ambient temperature, cavity size, and airflow.

While humans are very repelled by even tiny trace
levels of Butyric Anhydride, for very long periods,
the Butyric Anhydride products have about the same
useful period in terms of having an effect on bees.

> I'd like something that will last for at
> least a couple of seasons.

No such substance exists.  You should come to one of the
Long Island Beekeepers meetings
http://www.longislandbeekeepers.org

and ask the more experienced bee removers like the
Bloom brothers.  They might have some better advice,
but I'd suggest a baited swarm trap hive.  Maybe two,
just to be sure.