From:
Bill Truesdell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 30 Jun 2008 09:37:36 -0400
James Fischer wrote:

> I have no idea how to de-program these misinformed people
> and get them away from the ignorant dogma of the cults
> they have been sucked into, but I welcome input from
> others who have run into these willfully incorrigible
> so-called "beekeepers" and their so-called "teachers".

Often. I taught many in our chapter's bee school.

The unfortunate result is they drop out of beekeeping since they
continually lose colonies. Most are well informed organic farmers who
want to pollinate their crops with organic bees. They attend classes
but reject any non-organic mite controls. They champion many of the
"proven" organic methods.

Those that do survive as "organic" beekeepers, the less pure, go with
thymol, oxalic and formic since they are "organic". The dirty little
secret of most organic farming is that there are loopholes that allow
shifting back to conventional practices since there are no organic
solutions to many diseases and other pathogens found in nature. Enter
the antibiotics or other normal treatments found in non-organic farms.

For reasons that have been enumerated on this list, organic beekeeping
in the US has drifted over the edge. It is not sustainable unless you
   bend the rules.

It is interesting that had you invested in the, recommended by motley
fool, "whole foods" stock (organic) compared to the evil Monsanto GMO
purveyors of evil seeds, you would have lost money compared to a 35%
increase for Monsanto just this year (check the WSJ for Wednesday of
last week- good article). The current food crisis has shifted away
from organic to GMO as the real savior of the third world. Most
organic farming that is heralded by those in the developed countries
keep them on the farm in a labor intensive subsistence world.

I loved an article on ethanol production in Brazil which touted the
use of peasants to harvest the cane, which saved on diesel and
tractors. It was all about how Brazil has become energy sufficient
because of ethanol production. Dirty little secrete is that Brazil
pumps more oil and that is the actual reason. Ethanol production has
remained the same, while oil production has dramatically increased.
But who cares about facts.

Bill Truesdell
Bath, Maine