Date:
Mon, 29 Sep 2008 12:34:26 GMT
>>...certain hives for whatever reasons seem to draw bees from
other hives. Perhaps the queen has stronger pheromones or perhaps the
foragers seem to like the hive better.

I do quite a bit of hive transposing and find that certain strong hive remain strong regardless of position in a row.  I also think its the stronger queen pheromones.  [Bee colonies are normally isolated in nature and returning bees cue in on the queen scent.]  In transposing, these strong hive lose a substantial amount of workers but their queens are normally very prollific and quickly make up the losses.  I end up placing the strongest hives in the *worst* spots for drifting.

Drifting can be a big problem in the spring!  Returning bees in cool weather take less care in finding their original hives.  Weaker hives can significantly weaken and dwindle.  Have to keep an eye on that.  Drifting is not a big deal in the summer though after the best hives are in the *worst* spots and all hives are emitting *good* queen pheromone with the increased populations.

Drifting and *worst* positions made reconsider how I grade my queens.  I don't necessarily use the queens from my highest producing hives for reproduction.  I visually grade based on the brood amount and honey production in the *worst* position.  These hives will beat others under any circumstances.

Waldemar