From:
randy oliver <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 6 Oct 2008 11:09:42 -0700
HI Bob,

I haven't used inside feeders on my N ceranae-infested hives, so can't answer.
But I've heard lots of reports of bees drowning in the feeders that
support your observation.

I also feel that your hypothesis about genetic resistance to N ceranae
is accurate.

In my limited testing, I find that some colonies remain free of the
disease even though they are surrounded by sick colonies.

To answer your question about finding time--my poor bee business has
gotten hammered by me being distracted by research and writing.  Also
hit by foregoing most mite treatments for the last two years (and
going on 6 years without synthetic chems)--that's why I'm using more
Apiguard and Miteaway this year.

But I greatly appreciate the financial support I have gotten from
individuals and associations who have sent checks to help me continue
my reporting and research!  Indeed, those donations have allowed me to
remain on the edge of solvency.

 I'm hoping for a good year in almonds this season--my numbers are up,
and the bees look pretty good so far.  I guess we'll see when the
weather turns cold...

Randy Oliver