From:
Steve Noble <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 3 Jun 2008 20:40:55 -0400
Jim, it seems to me that you have set up a catch 22 situation when you say
that it is impossible to isolate a colony of bees from its accompanying
micro flora and fauna on the one hand and then say that bees can “thrive in
a "sterile" environment, where all microorganisms are deliberately hunted
down and killed on a regular and consistent basis” on the other hand.
Furthermore, I’m not sure I see the difference between claiming that at
least some microorganisms are beneficial if not vital to the health of
honeybees without providing any scientific peer reviewed data in support of
that argument, and claiming that no such organisms are beneficial without
providing any supporting scientific data on that side of the argument.
Actually I would tend to agree that such experimental evidence supporting
either argument would be damn near impossible to come by for the reasons
you mention; no way to construct a vacuum in which bees could live.  So
it’s kind of like proving or disproving the existence of God isn’t it.

Steve Noble