HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
"Caryn M. Berg" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 13 Mar 2011 22:35:31 -0600
Left Coast's birthday is March 16, sandwiched between the Ides of March and
St. Patrick's Day. Every car dealership and electronics store will be having
a St. Patrick's Day sale, so we're going the other way. Welcome to the "Left
Coast Ides of March Sale" honoring our sixth birthday. Until March 20, you
can purchase any Left Coast book from our website
<http://lcoastpress.com/index.php>  via our US distributor at a 30%
discount.

Increase your discount! Win a free book!

To sweeten the celebration we'll offer this: improve on Caesar's last words
and we'll improve your discount. The Ides of March were made notorious by
the assassination of Julius Caesar in 44 BC. According to the noted classics
scholar, William Shakespeare, his last words were "Et tu Brute! Then fall
Caesar!" Very dull. Certainly one of the wittiest Romans could have
extemporized a better last line than that. According to some classical
writers, he did: "Why, this is violence!" (Suetonius) or "Accursed Casca,
what does thou?" (Plutarch). This still leaves plenty of room for
improvement.

So, Left Coast readers, here is your challenge. Come up with better "last
words of Julius Caesar" than the classical historians and Elizabethan
dramatists have reported. Send it to us by March 18 and we'll send a secret
code that gives you an additional 10% discount. Remember, it needs to be
short--after all, he had 23 stab wounds by the time he fell. And, though
Caesar probably declaimed in Greek or Latin, please submit your entries in
English. The top three responses will WIN A FREE Left Coast paperback of
your choice.

How it Works

1.	All Left Coast books are on sale at a 30% discount between NOW and
March 20, 2011.

2.	Books must be ordered directly from our website
<http://lcoastpress.com/index.php>  and through our US distributor (U
Chicago Press) and must include the discount code: L1011. In the shopping
cart, insert the code and hit "update" to get the correct price.

3.	Give us your nomination for "the last words of Julius Caesar" to
increase your discount. Submit it via email to [log in to unmask] on or
before March 18 and we will send you a different, secret, yes secret, code
that will allow you to purchase any Left Coast books at a 40% discount until
March 20, 2011.

4.	The three best "last words of Caesar" entries will receive a FREE
Left Coast paperback of your choice. The winning entries (and any others
that aren't obscene or libelous) will be posted on our Facebook
<http://www.facebook.com/LeftCoastPress>  page. Judging this competition
will be our crack team of Left Coast classicists, none of whom ever took
Latin in school.

Here is our attempt at improving on Caesar:

"There goes my chance of winning Survivor: Rome!"

Let's see what you can do.

A heartfelt thanks to all of you.

Mitch Allen <mailto:[log in to unmask]> , Publisher

Caryn M. Berg, Ph.D.
Marketing, Archaeology
Left Coast Press, Inc.
[log in to unmask] <blocked::mailto:[log in to unmask]>
www.lcoastpress.com <blocked::http://www.lcoastpress.com/>
720.320.5892

Join Left Coast Press, Inc. online at:
http://www.facebook.com/LeftCoastPress